- 1967 – 1970 …Started from school at the Oval after being granted a 2 year scholarship from Caterham CC at Alf Gover’s Cricket School as a left-arm fast bowler and recommended on the House & Ground staff. Worked the main scorebox on matchdays and was one of the groundstaff clearing the post-lunchtime rainstorm of the outfield in the famous Ashes retaining Test match in 1968.
- 1970-71 …. Having not make the grade as a professional player, left the Oval and spent a year as acting Head Groundsman at Caterham School after the Head man resigned.
- 1971 –74 .. Groundsman at Esher CC. Surrey Championship.
- 1974–91 .. Groundsman at Enfield CC raising the standards in the Middx County Championship towards the club entertaining annual Middx 2nd Xl County matches and being awarded a Middlesex Nat West match and Enfield winning the National Club Championship in 1989 at Edgbaston. Also continued my relationship at the Oval by working temporary on Test Match days whenever my schedule allowed under Harry Brind & Bill Gordon.
In the period between 1978-1982, I had temporary match day, staff divot duty for Tottenham Hotspur and worked on a part-time basis at Barnet FC under Barry Fry.
In October 1981 I prepared the White Hart Lane pitch for the Spurs v Notts Forest match as emergency cover for the then Head Groundsman.
- 1991 –1998 .. Appointed Head Groundsman for the new project at the Shenley Cricket Centre, responsible for restoring an original Edwardian,Country House ground, initially for the Hertfordshire County Cricket Assoc., leading towards being awarded First Class status matches for MCC v Sth Africa and Pakistan until working direct for MCC in 1996 for 3 years when they took on the leasehold.
During this time I personally constructed the 10 pitch, Shenley Nursery Square and overseeing the conversion and development of the former football pitch to the nursery ground. This included the planting of 50 trees and 1700 hedging whips as part of a forestry commission grant. In 1995, I was chosen as the only non-1st Class County Groundsman for the first twelve of newly formed ECB/IOG Instructors, followed by being appointed Hertfordshire’s County Pitch Advisor,
- 1998 – 2019 … Appointed ECB Pitches Consultant following the retirement of Harry Brind MBE.
Thus completing over 50 continual years in Cricket!